Thursday, May 6, 2010

Book Club "House Rules" Week 1

Week 1 Prompt: What are your thought on the vaccination/autism link? If you are a parent, did it make you do things differently with your child (no right or wrong answers here! This is not a debate forum). If you aren't a parent, if you were to have children would this new found research change how you would go about getting your child vaccinated?

As someone without a child I would say that I would get opinions from more parents that have done both and other doctors and make sure to do my research about it. Vaccinations have always been hard for me to think about getting because it's one of those things you just hear the good and it's so simple you just do it without thinking.

I always tell my mom about the books I'm reading and found out that my mom has always found autism very interesting and did a lot of research about it and apparently I was predisposed for it since my mom had me late in life but all the tests came back fine. Anyways this book isn't about me sorry:(

I am liking the book more than I thought I would. I thought it would be boring. I have to say that the fact it goes from person to person is something I love so it gives me opinions from everyone. I feel bad for the mom because she brought two children into this world and I guess it's like with military the "I chose this life they didn't" phrase. She brought Theo into a situation where it's hard to give him quality time and a "normal" life. Sorry for the unusual long post I've been thinking about this book for awhile.

If your interested in joining the book club go to Kim's blog and check it out.

3 comments:

Mrs. B said...

I agree with you about Theo.. She needs to realize she has TWO kids and not just only focus on Jacob. I think by her doing this she is making Theo resent Jacob even more.

Anonymous said...

I agree with you saying shots are one of those things you do without even thinking, cause that's pretty much what I did with my little girl. I asked other parents opinions which were pretty much "You should cause there is more good than bad reasons," but I never really checked it out myself.

I also feel Theo has gotten kind of the short end in life, always having to cater to his brother, but on the other hand, like their house rule says, "Take care of your brother, he's the only one you have." Not that at times, I would blame him for breaking into peoples houses envying there "normalcy."

I love it going character to character as well!

KK said...

I really love how everyone has different view and reasons on what they think of this prompt. No one has the same life and we all have a little something extra to bring to the table when talking about this.

I'm glad you like the book! I know you were a little worried about it.