In previous posts I mentioned a stressful situation. My stressful situation was that my Grandma was having knee replacement surgery. My Grandma is a very stubborn woman and was refusing this surgery for a long time. I discussed it with my husband before he deployed so he would be prepared. Well of course with my luck our communication went to nonexistent so he has no idea what has happened for awhile.
My Grandma and I are a lot alike so when it comes to having things to do we put our emotions to the side and do what we need to do. That is what I did. I won't sugarcoat that I had a very hard time my first week there. I was worried about my Grandma and her surgery, worried my Granny (Grandma's Mom) was going to work herself to death, and worried I was gonna mess up. I'm not perfect but I gave it my very best shot and in the end I got to see my Grandma walk quicker than she has in awhile, go upstairs and downstairs, and just do some of the simple things in life that most of us take for granted. I was very blessed and appreciated so it made my near breakdown and small mistakes disappear and I got to return just a little of the love and support she gave me.
This isn't the point of my blog but we are getting there. I spent a good three weeks at my Grandma's and I always feel at home and couldn't ask for a better family but I was so homesick for CT I almost cried. There are a lot of things I miss as soon as I get on my first plane to fly to OK but it didn't hit me until I was trying to cook my amazing pot roast and she didn't have a potato peeler. I realized I'm not in my house with my pets, in my kitchen. It was such a small thing to miss from home but I realized how much I need my home. I use to get so homesick for OK but now I love my own space and being on a good routine.
In the end her surgery went well and she is recovering much better than I think any of us expected because the stubborness is a blessing and a curse. She was so determined not to get surgery that when she did she was determined to get right back up on the horse.
Monday, June 14, 2010
The Potato Peeler
Posted by Casey Stine at 6/14/2010 02:12:00 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment